Arts & Culture

Kappa Delta’s annual spaghetti feed adds 5k run to philanthropy



Kappa Delta knows that the only way to do a 5k run is to stuff your face with plates full of pasta beforehand. And did we mention bread sticks? This year, their annual two-part philanthropy returns Feb. 28 with a Spaghetti Feed and ends March 1 with the Shamrock N’ Run 5k.

The ladies of Kappa Delta were inspired to do some revamping to the philanthropy this year and started with their charity. Traditionally for the sorority, 80 percent of proceeds are given to a charity of choice, while the remaining 20 percent is given to a national charity. Prevent Child Abuse America was the national philanthropy for this year, leaving Kappa Delta with some room for creativity to pick out their own unique local charity.

Looking Glass Station 7 was the charity that stuck out most to these ladies. The organization grants 24/7 assistance and shelters for struggling teens and young adults, in addition to having a youth crisis hotline. Last week Looking Glass Station 7 even paid a visit to the Kappa Delta house to create an even stronger connection to the philanthropy.

Junior Margaret Sutherland has experienced the changes with Kappa Delta’s philanthropies over the years but is excited for this year.

“Both Greek life and the community are involved and it’s great to have everyone come together for an amazing cause,” Sutherland said. @@[email protected]@

One reason Looking Glass Station 7 was appealing to Kappa Delta was because Kappa Delta wanted to see its money put to use within the local neighborhood, rather than choosing an organization that had little relevance to the local community.

VP of public relations for the sorority, Allison Wieder, was excited to focus on a local philanthropy that could create some tangible and worthwhile results.

“The philanthropy is really cool because it’s impacting Eugene, right here in the community,” she said. @@[email protected]@

Although the spaghetti feed has been consistent in the two-part annual event, the Shamrock N’ Run is a new element. Past years have consisted of a basketball tournament, but the end goal for members of Kappa Delta was to get the community more involved by inviting all of Eugene to come to the events rather than just students on campus.

Sophomore Ashley Arts does not know how the turnout will be for their new philanthropy. “I joined Kappa Delta this year so this is my first Shamrock experience. The whole house is really excited to try something new that the campus hasn’t seen before,” Arts said. @@[email protected]@

The spaghetti feed will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the Kappa Delta house. An all-you-can-eat pasta bar will be provided, as well as house tours for anyone who wants to take a look around. This is Kappa Delta’s way of extending a friendly hand to other chapters, along with the outside community.

9 a.m. the following Saturday will be the 5k walk at Alton Baker Park. Guests are invited to run and/or walk this event.

With a goal of 200 runners for the Shamrock N’ Run and $10,000 for overall donations and sales, the women of Kappa Delta are expecting a huge turnout and are even more excited for the potential Looking Glass Station 7 has to influence the city of Eugene.


Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.

Donate


Comments

Tell us what you think:


Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald