News

Friday’s snowball fight garners international media attention

Video footage that captured students pelting snowballs at former University of Oregon professor Sherwin Simmons last Friday has not only gone viral on popular social media sites such as YouTube and Reddit but has also caught the attention of media outlets around the country.

As of Sunday, articles regarding the incident have been featured by both national and international media corporations, such as USA Today, New York Daily News, right-wing political website the Conservative Post and Metro, a tabloid based in the United Kingdom.

At 5 p.m. the video had received close to 2,000 shares on USAToday.com and had been viewed 1.2 million times on YouTube.

Though the USA Today sports story highlights the social media reactions of UO football players to the incident, most sources call into question the behavior of the student body as a whole and the social media attention garnered by the “snowmasacre,” as described by the Daily News.

According to UO Dean of Students Paul Shang, the university is conducting an investigation into the incident to determine the extent of disciplinary action. University of Oregon Police Department has yet to issue a response to the event.

Sami Edge

Sami Edge

Sami is the Editor In Chief of The Emerald. Former intern at Willamette Week and aspiring international investigative reporter. Swimmer, writer, dreamer, reader, thinker, explorer and drinker of strong coffee.