FootballNews

Oregon football’s $68 million performance center has a name: The Hatfield-Dowlin Complex

The $68 million Oregon football performance center that has garnered national attention over the last few days finally has an official name: The Hatfield-Dowlin Complex.

Named for Lola Hatfield and Dorothie Dowlin, Phil Knight’s mother and mother-in-law, respectively, the structure is the second large-scale project named after members of the Knight family in recent years — Matthew Knight Arena, which opened  in 2011, is named after the Nike co-founder’s son and cost $227 million to construct.

GoDucks.com’s Rob Moseley reports that both women the facilities are named after worked throughout the Great Depression — one as a telephone operator, the other as a factory worker — and married lawyers before starting a family. Knight’s mother influenced his decision to run track at Cleveland High School in Portland and later the University of Oregon.

Knight Library and the William W. Knight Law Center are the two other buildings located on the University of Oregon campus named for the family.

Eder Campuzano

Eder Campuzano

Eder is the Emerald's director of audience engagement. His work has appeared in The Oregonian, The Statesman Journal and the News-Register in McMinnville. He was also a founding member of the University of Oregon's competitive Pokémon league.