News

Updated: Small fire at Tingle Hall in Hamilton complex extinguished

A small fire in a stairwell in Tingle Hall at the Hamilton Residence Hall took place shortly after 4 p.m., according to tweets from students and from the official University media relations Twitter account. The UO Alerts page confirms the incident, including the fact that officials from the Eugene Fire Department are currently investigating the cause of the fire.

“The fire apparently started with a burning sign. An alarm sounded and a student-employee put it out with a fire extinguisher,” according to an email from University spokesperson Julie Brown.

Students are still waiting to re-enter the residence hall — after waiting at least an hour, according to freshman April Ishmael.

An image was posted to Twitter by Ishmael, who was walking back from a final exam at Prince Lucien Campbell Hall when she received a phone call from a friend who was at the scene.

Eder Campuzano

Eder Campuzano

Eder is the Emerald's director of audience engagement. His work has appeared in The Oregonian, The Statesman Journal and the News-Register in McMinnville. He was also a founding member of the University of Oregon's competitive Pokémon league.