News

Global Scholars Hall’s Carnival of Nations celebrates cultural variety

@@checked all [email protected]@The University of Oregon Global Scholars Hall will host the Carnival of Nations celebration, showcasing Brazilian, Italian and French cultural traditions on Friday, Feb. 22. The event kicks off at 2 p.m. with demonstrations in Brazilian and Italian cooking.

Spanish professor Robert Davis,@@[email protected]@ coordinator of the event, was inspired to educate students on Brazilian culture because of the country’s growing popularity as host of the 2016 Olympic Games.

“I just wanted to give people a chance to find out what goes on (in Brazil),” he said. “I hope that we’ll have a nice turnout, that people will be curious and have a lot of fun.”

According to Luis Ruiz,@@[email protected]@ a study abroad coordinator for the Office of International Affairs, the co-sponsored event by the Global Scholars Hall and the UO’s Department of Romance Language hopes to inspire interest in foreign cultures and participation in study abroad programs. The event will also generate publicity for the study of Portuguese language, newly added to the Romance Language curriculum in the fall of 2012.

Festivities will continue throughout the afternoon, culminating with a costume ball in the GSH Great Room from 8:30 p.m.-11 p.m. Events of the night will include guest lectures on the French, Italian and Brazilian cultures, mini-language lessons in Portuguese and Italian, live music, dance lessons and a mask-making workshop. In addition, the Fresh Marketcafé  will offer a variety of multicultural food specials for the event.

Samba Ja, a Eugene-based percussion ensemble specializing in “Afro-Brazilian” beats, will provide live music for the occasion.

Sami Edge

Sami Edge

Sami is the Editor In Chief of The Emerald. Former intern at Willamette Week and aspiring international investigative reporter. Swimmer, writer, dreamer, reader, thinker, explorer and drinker of strong coffee.