Cross CountrySports

Preview: Cross Country heads to NCAA West Regional Championships

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams will compete this weekend at the NCAA West Regional Championships in Seattle, Washington.

The third-ranked women, who won the Pac-12 championship two weeks ago, will be relying on their veterans with prior regional experience.  Seniors Jordan Hasay, Sarah Penney, Becca Friday and Anne Kesselring@@checked all [email protected]@ all have run regional meets before in their careers. Hasay has been the West Regional individual champion for the last two years and finished second as a sophomore in 2009.

The No. 11 men’s team also has runners with experience heading into Regionals. Trevor Dunbar, a transfer from University of Portland, won the West Regional title for the Pilots as a sophomore in 2010. In addition, juniors Ben DeJarnette, Mitch Hunt and Parker Stinson,@@[email protected]@ along with sophomores Colby Alexander, Jeramy Elkaim and Ryan Pickering@@[email protected]@ have battled before at Regionals.

At stake for the Ducks is an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships in Louisville, Kentucky, on November 17. The top two men’s and women’s teams earn automatic bids, and a number of at-large bids will also be up for grabs.

Beth Maiman

Beth Maiman