Mimic a Fashion Icon: Louise Brooks
Bobs, cloche hats, blazers and tailored shirts. These are some signature features of 1920s actress and flapper Louise Brooks’ style. As the weather gets colder, take some tips from Brooks’ wardrobe. Here are some items to mimic her look:
1. A clutch. It can be beaded, stitched, or plain. For instance, this vintage, white beaded wedding clutch from Etsy, $20.
2. A large coat with possible fur collar. These can be found at St. Vincent DePaul’s, Goodwill, Oak Street Vintage and Value Village. If you want to buy one new, Mod Cloth has a few, like this one for $89.99.
3. A blazer, preferably in a tan color or tweed material. Again, this can easily be thrifted, but here is an example from Forever 21, $25.
4. Cloche hat, or any structured hat you feel comfortable in. Most department stores sell them, as well as thrift stores. Here is an example from Etsy, $24.
5. Glitzy brooches and pins. I recommend you thrift for these to find some that are unique to you. The more sparkly it is the better, like this one from yet another Etsy shop, $36.
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.