News

Top news from around Eugene on Oct. 21 and 22

Eugene City Council hopes to pass street repair measure

The Eugene City Council expects voters to once again approve a $35.9 million bond measure devoted to repairing streets in the city, according to The Register-Guard. The measure, funded by property taxes and used to repave or rebuild streets, was put into effect four years ago. When it ends next year, it will have been used in 54 road repair projects.

Bethel seeks bond to repair schools

The Bethel School Board is seeking to pass a $49.5 million bond to repair its aging schools, The Register-Guard reports. If the measure passes, two elementary schools will be replaced, and other schools will receive updates including new door locks and security cameras, new flooring and updated heating and cooling systems.

There is no organized opposition to the measure.

Eugene man dies in car accident

On Friday night, a Eugene man was killed in a car accident on Highway 99, according to KEZI. Patrick McGuirk was driving when a car collided with his truck. His passenger, David Thom, 45, died in the accident. McGuirk was hospitalized for serious injuries.

The driver of the second car was not injured.

Teen writes zombie twist on Cinderella

Just in time for Halloween, a play written and directed by a 14-year-old Cottage Grove girl combines zombies with the fairy tale Cinderella, KEZI reports. “Zombierella,” which will be playing at the Arcade Theater in Cottage Grove, opens next weekend, and is rated PG-13 for gore.

Samantha Matsumoto

Samantha Matsumoto