Cross CountrySports

Duck men jump to No. 8 and women No. 3 in cross country

The men’s cross country team earned its highest ranking of the season at No. 8, while the women moved up a spot to No. 3 in this week’s coaches’ poll.

In the last three polls, the men’s team has gone from No. 23 to No. 15 and now to No. 8 due to an impressive performance at the Pre-Nationals meet in Louisville, Ky., on Saturday. The Ducks had a third-place finish with 152 points, behind Colorado and BYU.

Senior Trevor Dunbar had Oregon’s best time, finishing in fifth place with a time of 23:20.5. Junior Parker Stinson took ninth in 23:24.8. Junior Ben DeJarnette, who continues to have a solid season, took 28th place with a time of 23:[email protected]@http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&[email protected]@

The men’s poll was completely altered with No. 1 Wisconsin falling to No. 20. Oklahoma State then gained the top spot, followed by Colorado, Stanford, Iona, BYU, Oklahoma, Texas and Oregon. With UCLA at No. 15, the Pac-12 now has four teams in the top [email protected]@[email protected]@

The women also improved a spot to No. 3 after a second-place finish in Louisville.

The Ducks, ranked fourth coming into the meet, finished in second place with 87 points behind top-ranked Florida State. Once again, senior Alexi Pappas led the team with a third-place finish in 19:56.9. Senior Jordan Hasay had a fifth-place finish in 20:03.4 and freshmen Allie Woodward, finished in 18th with a time of 20:24.6.

Florida State remained No. 1 in the women’s poll. Four Pac-12 teams — Oregon, Stanford, Arizona and Washington hold spots 3-6. Also from the Pac-12, Colorado is at No. 21 and UCLA No. 24.

Both teams look to the Pac-12 Championships on Oct. 27 in Santa Clarita, [email protected]@http://championships.pac-12.com/cross-country/@@

Beth Maiman

Beth Maiman