News

UO student Carlene Ho drowns at Summit Lake Monday afternoon

Just weeks after her 21st birthday, University senior Carlene Ho drowned in Summit Lake in Klamath County, according to Oregon State Police.

Ho was visiting the lake with two friends, ages 23 and 25, Monday afternoon when she was found face down underwater when her friends returned from a swim to a nearby island. She was last seen near the shore with her feet in the water, according to police. She did not know how to swim.

People nearby heard Ho’s friends screaming and assisted in CPR.

Klamath County 9-1-1 received a call around 5 p.m. Friends pulled Ho from the water and administered CPR until an AirLink ambulance arrived and transported Ho in a canoe, continuing CPR. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

A friend of Ho’s, University student Sean Danaher, remembered her as a vibrant and charismatic individual.

“Her incredible and beaming smile always emerged whenever I or friends would see her,” Danaher said. “She was always interested in those around her and was truly a selfless person.”

Ho was a digital arts major who was interested in technology and art and how they interact, according to Danaher. She often talked about the roles of technology and how humans, especially young people, have become increasingly addicted. An active participant in campus activities, Ho worked as a designer and illustrator at Ethos Magazine and worked at the EMU Craft Center.

Former Ethos Magazine editor-and-chief Beth Kramer worked with Ho on multiple projects for Ethos, including the Winter 2012 issue of the publication.

“She was quick and happily willing to fix any problems we had and did so with a great attitude,” Kramer said. “Carlene was a great team player and well loved in our community. She will be missed.”

Design for America, a national student group, posted a gallery of images on Facebook in memory of Ho.

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald