SportsTrack & Field

A viewer’s guide to Oregon athletes in London

Eugene, as we all likely know, is often referred to as TrackTown USA. But for the next month, many University of Oregon alumni will be taking their talents outside of the country to compete against the world’s best at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. @@All of the info for this is here http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205562842&D[email protected]@

The UO will be sending two former Olympians (Galen Rupp and Andrew Wheating) in addition to eight more athletes making their debuts at the games: Keshia Baker, Zoe Buckman, Matthew Centrowitz, Ashton Eaton, Becky Holliday, Cyrus Hostetler, Brianne Theisen and Rachel Yurkovich.@@all names [email protected]@

Here’s a breakdown of how to keep up with the events across the pond this week. Note that many of the races are preceded by qualifying rounds, and the participation of these former UO athletes is dependent upon their advancement in the preliminaries.

Monday, August 6

• Holliday competes in the final of the women’s pole vault
  • Buckman competes for Australia in the preliminaries of the women’s 1,500 meters

Tuesday, August 7

• Yurkovich begins the qualifying rounds of the women’s javelin
  • Centrowitz competes in the final of the men’s 1,500

Wednesday, August 8

• Current world-record holder Eaton begins his quest for the gold in the men’s decathlon, a two-day event. The Bend, Ore., native was a five-time NCAA champion during his time with the Ducks.
  • Rupp competes in the opening heats of the men’s 5,000 meters
  • Buckman could be in the semifinals of the 1,500 meters
  • Hostetler begins competition in the men’s javelin

Thursday, August 9

• Eaton’s bid for gold in the decathlon wraps up
  • Yurkovich could be in the finals of the women’s javelin

Friday, August 10

• Baker is in preliminary heats of the women’s 4×400 meters
  • Buckman, if she advances, competes in the finals of the women’s 1,500 meters

Saturday, August 11

• Women’s 4×400-meter relay final (Baker, if she qualifies)
  • Men’s javelin final (Hostetler, if he qualifies)
  • Men’s 5,000 final (Rupp, if he qualifies)

Please consider donating to our sports travel fund. Emerald coverage of tournaments and bowl games keeps you informed and gives our student reporters and photographers an invaluable opportunity to work alongside industry professionals at major college sports events. 

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald