News

Tuition increase proposals to be renewed by State Board of Higher Education

The Oregon State Board of Higher [email protected]@name is [email protected]@ will review proposals to increase tuition from each Oregon University System institution at the board’s Friday meeting in Portland.

The University will submit its proposal for a 6.1 percent tuition increase for resident undergraduates amounting to $459 hike from the 2011-12 academic year. Nonresident undergraduate rates are proposed to raise by only 3.6 percent, but due to a higher base number, its dollar amount is larger, landing at a $945 hike.

The increases, imposed by the University to counterbalance rising costs and a rapidly growing student population, come at a time when state funding has decreased immensely for higher education. Although substantial increases have been made at each OUS institution, the University continues to see some of the largest hikes in the system with a 7.2 percent tuition increase for resident undergraduates just a year prior.

In the ten years from the 2001-02 academic year to the 2011-12 academic year the University saw tuition and fee increases of 115 percent, or $4,718.

Other items under consideration by the board include proposals for the 2013-2015 biennium budget, review of the institutional boards recommendation from the Governance and Policy Committee and a report on the progress of the University’s presidential search from search committee chair Allyn [email protected]@[email protected]@

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald