Letters to the EditorOpinion

Letter: New EMU should have commitment to sustainability

As the co-directors of the Climate Justice League@@http://www.climatejusticeleague.org/@@, we are glad that ASUO President Ben Eckstein moved the EMU ballot measure to the spring. In the EMU/SRC survey, the number one priority listed by students was sustainability; however, the administration’s current considerations to make the building sustainable are insufficient.

In conversations about the project, Vice President of Student Affairs Robin Holmes has said that she will make no commitment to making the EMU a net-zero building that does no environmental damage. Instead, we risk being stuck with a building that sucks up enormous quantities of dirty energy for decades. It would harm our environment and cost us much more money in the long run — despite the fact that we had invested over $100 million into the project.

The administration’s own website states that even the most meager sustainability features will only be “considered” and “explored.” They do not, in other words, commit to them. We are calling for University administration to make the commitment that the new EMU will be a net-zero building with comprehensive sustainability features. Until then, students should not be forced to vote on the project.

Chris Becker
Climate Justice League co-director

Elise Downing
Climate Justice League co-director

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald