False fire alarm causes EMU evacuation
A false fire alarm in the EMU caused the building to be evacuated today. Authorities do not know what triggered it.
As firefighters from Station 13 responded to the alarm, which sounded at 1:18 p.m., the University’s Department of Public Safety searched the EMU, including electrical panels, said Glen Potter, Eugene Fire & EMS spokesperson.
“There could’ve been faulty electrical equipment,” Potter said.
University spokesperson Jim Barlow said that DPS did not find a cause.
“They do not know if something was pulled, or if there was something that triggered a faulty smoke alarm,” Barlow said.
Drew Standridge, a program technician with the University’s Environmental Health and Safety department, did not respond to inquiries.
Students, faculty and staff were allowed back into the EMU at 1:37 p.m.
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.