CrimeNews

DPS seeks more information about Sunday morning assault

A male University graduate student was assaulted and robbed in the early morning hours of July 11, and the Department of Public Safety is asking students for help in finding the suspects.

Although DPS is alerting students and trying to gather information from University students, Eugene Police Department is in charge of the investigation because they were the first to arrive on the scene after the victim used an emergency substation to alert them, DPS Capt. Ed Rinne said.

DPS is also assuring students that they’re still protecting campus.

“We’re going to try to be as vigilant as possible with our officers trying to look for people that look out of place, in bushes or around buildings,” Rinne said.

Rinne also urged students to remember basic safety tips while walking at night.

“Try not to be out alone (at night),” Rinne said. “There is truly strength in numbers.”

According to a crime alert issued by DPS, the student was riding his bicycle in front of Gerlinger Hall when a male suspect pushed him off of his bicycle and demanded the victim’s money. A second suspect pushed him to the ground when he tried to get up.

The victim relinquished the money and saw his attackers walk to the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.

The first two suspects were seen meeting up with two more unidentified males, then walking down Kincaid Street toward 13th Avenue and driving away in a silver sedan.

All suspects are described as being 17- to 20-year-old white males.

The two primary suspects are being described as 5’7″-6’0″. One suspect is described as having a very thin build, very short blond hair, wearing a white sleeveless T-shirt and grey jean shorts. The second suspect in the assault is also described as having a very thin build and wearing an unzipped grey hooded sweatshirt with a white T-shirt.

The public is asked to contact DPS Detective Sgt. Chris Enquist at (541) 346-2974 with any pertinent information.

“We’re fortunate that we have a very safe campus at the University of Oregon. It was an unfortunate incident; it was something that we find very disturbing, and we strongly encourage people who have information to contact the detective sergeant,” UO spokesperson Phil Weiler said.

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald