Men's BasketballSports

Athlete of the week: Teondre Williams

Sophomore guard Teondre Williams has been lighting up the hardwood during the last couple of weeks. Against Montana State on Nov. 28, Williams had 19 points and four rebounds in a 23-point Oregon win. Williams is averaging 14.8 points per game through Oregon’s first six games. The Emerald caught up with him before Tuesday’s practice.

Oregon Daily Emerald: If you weren’t playing basketball, what sport would you be playing?

Teondre Williams:
I’d be playing football.

ODE: Receiver?

TW: Yeah. I didn’t try out. I talked to a couple of the guys and they said I should come out and be a red zone-type receiver. I played in high school for a couple of years and I stopped playing in my junior year because our football team was pretty bad and I focused on basketball.

ODE: What do you do on your free time?

TW: I just hang with the team. I hang with my guys. The guys I came in here with. Us six are pretty tight and we crack jokes all the time.

ODE: Who would you say is your best friend on the team?

TW: I don’t particularly have one, but the four of us, me, Mike (Dunigan), Josh (Crittle) and Matt (Humphrey) are real tight.

ODE: What’s your major?

TW: Education.

ODE: So you want to be a teacher?

TW:
Yeah, and a coach.

ODE: What are some other things that you do outside of school and basketball?

TW: I like music; I talk to my mom a lot on the phone and my little brother as well. When I’m not playing basketball, I’m kind of a family guy. I like being in the family atmosphere.

ODE: Is it tough being on the West Coast when you’re from Georgia?

TW: It is, but luckily I have family down in California because that’s where I was born. So if I need to go somewhere, I can go there and visit my grandma.

ODE:
Where in Georgia are you from?

TW: I’m from 10 minutes outside of Atlanta, to the south.

ODE: What do you like most about Georgia?

TW: I just like the people. They’re really nice. I like the food, too.

ODE:
What’s your favorite meal back there?

TW: My mom cooks fried chicken and broccoli casserole. It’s, like, my favorite food.

ODE: Do you cook that for yourself here?

TW: I can’t. I can’t cook. When she came out here I asked her to teach me, but we were so busy that we didn’t get a chance.

[email protected]

Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald