News

Campus goes dark



Ivar Vong

After a power plant failure briefly plunged the University into darkness at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday, several fire alarms were simultaneously triggered around campus. Eugene Fire Department trucks arrived on the scene shortly thereafter.

Smoke was reported only in Straub Hall, the Volcanology building and Earl Complex, according to a University press release that was sent out around 10 p.m.. The Department of Public Safety led an evacuation of the residence hall.

The power outage and fire alarms were caused by an electrical arc that occurred during an upgrade to the campus’ central power station. DPS also responded to alarms in Knight Library, Prince Lucien Campbell, Willamette Hall and the EMU.

[email protected]


Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.

Donate


Comments

Tell us what you think:


Daily Emerald

Daily Emerald