As a salaried employee, hours will vary, but the multimedia editor must be able to work an average of 30 hours per week. The multimedia editor is expected to work with members of the newsroom to plan, coordinate and ensure proper editorial coverage on the newspaper’s Web site. The multimedia editor specifically will be expected to:
- Ensure that there are at least two online videos per week
- Conduct, edit and post Podcasts for different areas of the newsroom.
- Coordinate with multimedia reporters to secure video coverage
- Post breaking news stories and extra content packages when needed
- Work to develop new site features
- Coordinate with the Web editor to ensure coverage
- Monitor the Internet for media trends online
- Write text for the paper’s .COM box that teases the multimedia content online
- Work with news reporters and the news editor to develop packages for online and print
- Keep regular office hours
- Attend required staff meetings
- Monitor the news daily to keep abreast of all issues that need to be covered, and see that no pertinent news is missed
- Set individual goals each term to improve journalistic skills
Direct supervisor: Editor in chief
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.