Join the 2016-2017 Emerald staff
Come work for America’s best college media company. We’re looking for students with a strong work ethic, a desire to learn and the drive to be the best. If you’re short on experience, don’t worry. We’re looking for students with passion and commitment, not a perfectly polished résumé.
If you fit that description, we want to hear more.
As of Feb. 20, we have openings for:
- News reporters. The foot soldiers of the Emerald army. Relentless, informed and often in a meeting. News breaks and they fix it. News reporters:
- Write regular anchor stories on tight deadlines.
- Work on large-scale reporting projects.
- Collaborate frequently with other reporters and desks.
- Maintain regular breaking shift hours to keep an eye on news in the community.
- Videographers. Videographers are responsible for shooting and editing original videos on student life in UO and culture in Eugene. Videos range from interviews, Q&A’s, event/news recaps and investigations. Videographers must:
- Create 8 to 10 videos per term.
- Show a video portfolio which demonstrates their familiarity with shooting and editing software.
- Arts & Culture reporters. A&C reporters cover movies, music, TV, books, events and all things culture. In-depth coverage of everything happening around campus that a college student might do on the weekend. Seeking strong reporters. Currently no positions in music department. A&C reporters:
- Write regular features.
- Provide subjective commentary on the arts in the form of reviews and event coverage.
- Work with multimedia desks to create vibrant visual content.
- Tell fellow students what to do on Friday and Saturday.
If you know which of the above positions you’d like to apply for, send us a 300-word cover letter, a resume and up to four work samples at [email protected] Make sure you include which position you’re applying for in the cover letter.
If you have further questions, feel free to send questions to the Editor in Chief, Cooper Green, at [email protected].
About the Emerald
The Emerald has served the University of Oregon with news and information since 1900. Our mission is to train students, serve the UO community and run a financially sustainable nonprofit business.
The Emerald produces a news magazine twice a week and online news 24/7. In 2013, the Emerald’s Revolution transitioned the company from a traditional newspaper to a modern college media company. College Media Matters, the leading college newspaper blog, named the Emerald the 2012-13 college newspaper of the year.