SportsTrack & Field

Deajah Stevens announces she is going pro, forgoing her senior year

Oregon track and field sprinter Deajah Stevens announced her intentions to become a professional on Wednesday night via social media. Stevens’ decision to turn pro means she is forgoing her final year of eligibility for the Ducks. In three years, Stevens built a resume that is one of the best in Oregon track and field history.

Stevens was a crucial piece during the women’s run to the triple crown — NCAA champions in cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field.

Her success in the sprints went beyond collegiate events when she became the US Champion in the 200-meter dash earlier this summer. Stevens also placed second in the 100-meter dash at the US Track and Field Championships, meaning she will run at both events in the World Championships in London in August.

It will not be her first time representing the United States. Stevens placed second in the US Olympic Trials in the 200 to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics. She finished seventh with a time of 22.65 seconds at the Olympics.

In 2017, and for the Ducks, Stevens became a national champion when she helped the 4×400-meter team place first — the race that clinched the triple crown. She placed second in the 100 at the NCAAs, but she failed to place in the 200 because she tripped about 15 meters from the finish line.

The Pac-12 Championships were successful for Stevens. She placed first in the 100, 200 and 4×100-meters on her way to becoming the 2017 Pac-12 Women’s Track and Field Athlete of the Year.

The nine-time All-American from Westchester, New York, ends her career as a member of two Oregon records in the 4×100 and the 4×400.

Follow Jack Butler on Twitter @Butler917

Jack Butler

Jack Butler

I am a sports reporter for the Daily Emerald. I started in spring 2016 and I cover football, men's basketball and softball. Spent the first ten years of my life in the Bay Area (San Rafael) and the last ten in Oregon (Bend). I am a UO-SOJC student.