FootballOlympicsSportsTrack & Field

Devon Allen will forgo remaining college eligibility and begin professional track and field career

Devon Allen announced Wednesday in a press conference that he will forgo his remaining athletic eligibility at the University of Oregon and fully focus on a professional track and field career.

Allen, who placed fifth in the 110-meter hurdles at the 2016 Rio Olympic games this past summer, says he plans to remain in Eugene, finish his business degree at the university and win gold at the 2020 Tokyo games.

“It’s a big decision,” Allen said. “I talked to my teammates, my coaches, my family. I thought this was the best for me. It gives me the best opportunity to acccomplish what I want to accomplish in the future.”

Allen tore his ACL in the early stages of Oregon football’s season at Nebraska and now will focus on his professional track career.

“I don’t think the injury affected [my decision],” Allen said.

He says he does not have an agent yet and when that time comes, Allen will probably receive endorsements too.

The junior says he would like to go into professional football and play in the NFL, but only after he wins gold and breaks the world record at Tokyo 2020.

“I think my ideal scenario is to run track for the next couple years and then 2020 Olympics win a gold medal, have the world record,” Allen said. “Then I can put that to the side and try to play football.”

Because he would be a professional, Allen would not be able to compete for Oregon in track events in spring but could run in the open meets, which include Oregon Twilight and the Prefontaine Classic.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Previous post

Musicians Against Sexual Violence to host benefit concert at Luckey's Club on Friday

Next post

Oregon wide reciever Darren Carrington accused of pushing man, breaking his arm

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is a sports reporter for the Emerald. You can contact him at [email protected]