FootballSports

AP Poll: Oregon moves up to No. 15; win over No. 7 Stanford looking better

Oklahoma moved up two spots to No. 3 in Sunday’s AP Top 25 Poll rankings, after its  58-23 win over Oklahoma State to clinch the Big 12 title and essentially punch its ticket to the College Football Playoff.

The Sooners bumped Iowa down a spot to No. 4, with Michigan State looming at No. 5 after a win over Penn State. They’ll square off in the Big Ten Championship on Saturday Dec. 5, and the winner will almost certainly secure a berth in the CFP.

Clemson and Alabama remained at No. 1 and No. 2, and Ohio State jumped up to No. 6 from No. 6 with a win over Michigan, who fell from No. 12 to No. 19.

Stanford climbed six spots to No. 7, where it stood before its loss to Oregon, with a last-second win over Notre Dame.

Stanford’s win helped Oregon’s chance at being selected for a New Year’s Six bowl. Stanford is in line for either a spot in the CFP or a Rose Bowl appearance, so long as it overcomes No. 24 USC in the Pac-12 Championship game. The Ducks jumped three spots up to No. 15 with a 52-42 Civil War victory and losses by now No. 18 Florida, No. 19 Michigan, and No. 22 Navy.

Here are the full rankings:

1. Clemson (first place votes — 53)

2. Alabama (8)

3. Oklahoma

4. Iowa

5. Michigan State

6. Ohio State

7. Stanford

8. North Carolina

9. Notre Dame

10. Florida State

11. TCU

12. Baylor

13. Northwestern

14. Oklahoma State

15. Oregon

16. Ole Miss

17. Houston

18. Florida

19. Michigan

20. Temple

21. Utah

22. Navy

23. LSU

24. USC

25. Wisconsin

Follow Kenny Jacoby on Twitter @KennyJacoby

Kenny Jacoby

Kenny Jacoby

Kenny is the senior sports editor for the Emerald. He spent two years studying computer and information science before changing his major to journalism. He also freelances for the Register-Guard, interns for the Eugene Weekly and works as a research assistant for UO journalism professor Seth Lewis.