AdministrationCrimeNews

Johnson Hall rally continues for second day in protest of Oregon administration transparency in sexual assault case

Protestors supporting the UO Coalition To End Sexual Violence  gathered at Johnson Hall for the second day in a row to protest the University of Oregon’s lack of transparency surrounding the rape case involving men’s Basketball players Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin.

UO President Michael Gottfredson addressed the crowd, saying, “This is an ongoing investigation and because of an ongoing investigation with a possibility of arrest we were cooperating with the police and complying with safety measures. We do that with every single case.

Vice President for Student Affairs Robin Holmes addressed students as well.

“Our community is not safe. Communities across the country are not safe. One in five women are being raped when they’re in college. It’s not safe and we all have to do something about that,” she said. “You’re all trying to do something about that by being here. We really do have a very, very serious problem. We’re very concerned about it.”

In response to the question, “Should Altman be fired?” Gottfredson responded, “No, he should not be fired.”

He then thanked everyone for coming and went inside.

The rally moved inside Johnson Hall where the protestors continued to chant and demand answers for the second day in a row. According to one of the rally’s leaders Claire Aubin, the protestors plan on continuing their efforts at noon on Monday.

Previous post

All-star Leudy De Los Santos gives her all in women's rugby

Next post

Campaign disclosures highlight heavy spending in ASUO campaigning

Sophia June

Sophia June

Sophia is the Senior Arts and Culture Editor at the Emerald.